Designer and entrepreneur
I am a graphic designer and entrepreneur. I help clients with communication design and marketing needs. My focus on graphic and web design follows a successful business and marketing career. My colleagues know me as “Jill Barson Gilbert,” or just plain “Jill.”
I have loved typography from the time my Dad bought me a 1960s edition of the Speedball Textbook. I owned a toy printing press at age 11, later bought my first PC, and started collecting fonts. Digital typefaces, graphics and icons have really evolved. Today, many popular typefaces are digital hand lettering—we have come full circle.
I have been interested in how things work since I was a toddler. I know how to use tools and how to make things. I enjoy photography and have used many film cameras and digital cameras. Today, my “go-to” tools are a MacBook Pro, an iPad, a Wacom graphics tablet and a Canon digital SLR.
Each project has a unique challenge or problem to be solved. I use Design thinking, a creative, solution-based approach to problem-solving. I like this holistic approach because it focuses on people’s needs, considers how to best use technology, and identifies the conditions for business success.
Recognizing the need is the primary condition for design.” —Charles Eames“
I have a STEAM background with Bachelor of Arts and Master of Science degrees. I held environment, health & safety positions in industry, then moved on to EHS consulting, software product management and software consulting. All along, marketing and graphic design grabbed my attention.
I am still learning.” —Michelangelo
I taught myself HTML and CSS and graphics design. I wrote hundreds of reports, articles and white papers and illustrated some of them myself. I enrolled in college—again—to earn an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Art & Design.
Jill B Gilbert Résumé
I seek interesting and stimulating creative projects in communication design and marketing.
- Freelance Designer (2017-present)
- Founder, President & CEO, Lexicon Systems, LLC (2002-present)
- Director of Strategy & Communications, T3, Inc. (1998-2002)
- Director of Product Management, Oracle Corporation (1996-1998)
|Branding | Communication design | Web design | Package design | WordPress | HTML + CSS | Typography | Intelligent content | White papers | Photography||Critical thinking | Communication | Strategy + plans | Project management | Product management | Leadership | Client account management | Quality | Team building | Mentoring||Adobe Illustrator | Photoshop | InDesign | WordPress | Dreamweaver | Microsoft PowerPoint | Microsoft Project | Microsoft Visio | Microsoft Excel|
- Associate of Applied Science, Art & Design—San Jacinto College, Houston, TX
- Rice Program for Managers—Rice University, Houston, TX
- Master of Science—University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Bachelor of Arts—Miami University, Oxford, OH
Memberships & honors
- AIGA, the professional association for design
- Phi Theta Kappa honor society
- Air & Waste Management Association (Fellow Member, Director, Vice President, IT Insight columnist)
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award (2018 Nominee)
- Biography in Who’s Who in the South and Southwest, Who’s Who in Finance and Business, Who’s Who of American Women, Who’s Who in the World and Who’s Who in America
Please use the contact form to request a copy of my full résumé.